Total underwear collected is 2,043,978
Thank you for sending us a pantastic 1,735 parcels in November.
This month, we hit 2 MILLION items of underwear distributed to people in need in Africa and the UK. This brings mixed feelings. On the one hand, I’m proud to be part of the Smalls team delivering much-needed underwear, giving dignity to those in need. But on the other hand, in a better world Smalls wouldn’t need to exist.
We received 76 requests for underwear this year. This is the highest number of requests we’ve had and, given the current cost-of-living crisis, I don’t anticipate fewer requests in 2023. The requests we get in make for hard reading, times are incredibly tough for some people. Smalls provides a unique service to people who need our help by providing basic items that many people can take for granted. Please know that the people who received your donations appreciate it very much – the feedback we get is both heart-breaking and heart-warming.
Since our last Talking Pants, we’ve provided new pants and new and gently worn bras to 9 organisations:
- 1,500 pairs of pants to The Bethany Christian Trust to be given to guests of the Rapid Re-accommodation Welcome Centre in Edinburgh and the users of the Edinburgh Bethany Care Van.
- 1,200 pairs of pants to the Edinburgh School Uniform Bank, supporting families with primary and secondary school aged kids in the Edinburgh local authority area.
- 63 pairs of pants and bras to the Fellowship of St Nicholas, an organisation in East Sussex working with people living in temporary accommodation.
- 155 pairs of pants and bras to Brighton & Hove LGBT Switchboard, an organisation providing services to the LGBTQ people in Sussex.
- 665 pairs of pants and bras to Two Brews, an organisation supporting the homeless in Manchester.
- 1,500 pairs of pants to Project Gambia to be included in hygiene kits going to The Gambia.
- 810 pairs of pants to Care4Calais to support asylum seekers in the Slough/Heathrow region.
- 33,000 pairs of pants and bras to NPAC to be distributed to their projects in Africa.
- 1,490 pairs of pants and bras to the Scot Baby Box Appeal, an organisation supporting families in North Lanarkshire.
We were awarded a £1,000 Movement for Good Award from Benefact Group! Thanks so much to everyone who nominated us. With costs spiralling and financial donations falling because of the cost-of-living crisis, this will be a great help towards our running costs and we really appreciate the time you took to click through and nominate us.
On behalf of all the women, children and men we support, my sincere thanks go to our supporters, our partners and distributors, and to the incredibly dedicated team of Smalls volunteers.
Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas wherever you are and whatever you’re doing.
With very best wishes for a happy, healthy 2023.